Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Year Is Coming To An End - What Have You Done?

It seems that every year at Christmas time, I start to look back over the last year. As I listen to the Christmas Carrols on the radio, I continue to ponder over the words to the John Lennon's song, “So this is Christmas.” The words “So this is Christmas and what have you done? Another year over,” are so haunting. Time seems to slip by us so fast, and I ask my self, “What have I done?” At a first glance not all that I would have wanted to. I know that there are many people in the same boat as I am. I did have some time to reflect and contemplated this year as the results of a broken leg. I can’t say that it was all bad, but, it was not what I wanted to do. It is amazing how things usually do work out for the best. I was able to look at my own business and see ways to move forward that I had not contemplated without the time for reflection. So, this was a good thing.


There were several clients that were able to take their career in a direction that they had never thought possible. One was ready to retire and look for other work, and though our coaching sessions found an opportunity within her company that has allowed her to grow in ways she never expected. That is a great thing. I wish that everyone could find that type of fulfillment in their career. There are too many folks that are out of work, under-employed or just stuck in a rut. As a quote on my web site spells out, "Working at a job you don't like is a lame way to spend a good portion of your life.” Unknown Wise Person.



So with the new year upon us, I ask, how are you going to spend this next year at your career? Are you going to be like in the song, “what have you done? Another year over,” Or are you going to be like many of my clients, and decide that they need to move forward. Here are some basic steps to take if you want to move forward in your career:

1. Evaluate your present job satisfaction. Start a journal of your daily reactions to your present job. What aspects of your present job do you like or dislike? Is your dissatisfaction(s) associated to the elements of your work or your company culture or with the people with whom you work?
2. Take a serious look at your interests, values and skills. Review your previous successes, your volunteer work; identify preferred activities and skills that you have used on projects and jobs. Find out whether your core values and skills are addressed through your present career.

3. Brainstorm ideas for alternative careers by discussing your core values/skills you’re your friends, family, networking contacts and coach. Visit career libraries and use online resources like those found in the Department of Labor website.

4. Review several fields of interest and identify a few key careers to research.

5. Find out as much as you can about those fields. Make contact with personal in those arenas for informational interviews.

6. See if you can Shadow several professionals in fields of your main interest. This will allow you to observe work first hand. Spend a few hours to a few days’ job shadowing people who have jobs that interest you. Visit your local college Career Office; it is a good place to find alumni who may be willing to host people on a job shadow.

7. Identify volunteer and freelance activities related to your target field to test your interest e.g. if you are thinking of writing as a career, try editing a local organizational newsletter. If you're interested in working with animals, volunteer at your local animal shelter or zoo.

8. Investigate educational opportunities that would bridge your background to your new field. Consider taking an evening course at a local college. Spend some time at one day or weekend seminars. Contact professional organizations in your target field for suggestions.

9. Look for ways to develop new skills in your current job which would pave the way for a change i.e. offer to write a training program if training is valued in your new field. If your company offers in-house training, sign up for as many classes as you can.

10. Consider alternative roles within your current industry which could utilize the industry knowledge you already have i.e. if you are a store manger for a large retail chain and have grown tired of the evening and weekend hours consider a move to corporate recruiting within the retail industry. Or if you are a programmer who doesn't want to program, consider technical sales or project management.

So, if you do not want to contemplate those haunting words from John Lennon next year, take some time and set some goals to work on your career. Remember to keep balance in you life. All the best and God Bless in this Season of Joy.

No comments: